Holly Springs Tactical
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BLACKHAWK! Level 2 SERPA Tactical Leg Drop Holster

Go down

BLACKHAWK! Level 2 SERPA Tactical Leg Drop Holster Empty BLACKHAWK! Level 2 SERPA Tactical Leg Drop Holster

Post by Sheepdog Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:26 pm

BLACKHAWK! Level 2 SERPA Tactical Leg Drop Holster BLACKHAWK

Currently in stock at Holly Springs Tactical

While at the entirely opposite spectrum of the concealment world, BLACKHAWK! is offering its Level 2 SEPRA Tactical Holster on a drop leg platform. This system is a nice option to anyone who may open carry their firearm. I own and use this system quite frequently and it has grown to be one of my best pieces of gear I utilize.

Now a large debate exists from users that do and do not like the drop leg setup. Arguments on both sides of the issue have valid points and I will describe why I have elected to add this item to my tool bag. The drop leg system moves a sidearm from the hip position to the mid-thigh position to create room at the waist for other tactical accessories one may need to employ. Tactical vests, magazine pouches, first aid packs, radios, LEO gear, and flashlights can all consume areas around a person’s waist. The ability to move a sidearm away from this area can free up room for other gear that may be needed. A drop leg platform is best combined with one who is carrying a primary weapon system such as a long gun. The position of the drop leg can eliminate binding of the two weapon systems if the long gun is carried by means of a sling.

Secondly, I really appreciate the accessibility of the sidearm due to the relocation from the waist. While on duty, I frequently have a holster mounted to my duty belt and have become very accustom to its location. However, I realize that accessibility to the sidearm in some positions can be challenging. For example, sitting in a vehicle with the seatbelt on. This is not an issue for the drop leg system.

Equipped with a level 2 retention system, the SERPA is a fast draw holster allowing the user to easily unlock the retainer, draw the firearm, and move the trigger finger to the appropriate “finger on the frame” position, all in one motion. The retention lock is well built and durable. While admirably fast, the down side can be in a struggle, the holster may be hard to defend against an opponent trying to physically remove your sidearm.

BLACKHAWK! offers this system for various models of firearms and each has a custom fit for the brand and model. The platform can be also equipped it a single magazine holder on each side of the holster allowing the user up two three total magazine contained within the system itself. The magazine holders are not included with the system and are an additional expense.

What I like:
Less than $75.00
Well built! Strong straps and attachment points. Large clips.
Holds in place without sway. Easy to wear all day long.
One of the fastest holsters I have used.
Ability for multiple magazine carrying capacity all on one system.
Excellent sidearm access.

What I do not like:
High observation profile
The ability to carry multiple magazines is a plus, however the location is placed on the strong hand side…this is not tactically sound and bad practice.
Gun retention could be an issue if you are not trained in techniques to combat this threat.
Holster eliminates the ability to attach accessories such as mounted sighting lasers and tactical lights. BLACKHAWK! makes models to accommodate this issue now, just not on the base model.

Overall:
I would not recommend this platform to all, but would to those seeking additional training with the system. To use the product, absolutely no training is required, however not advisable. In a life threatening situation, gun retention can be very important and the BLACKHAWK! SERPA Tactical Drop Leg Holster offers excellent speed of the draw while lacking the safety of retention other devices may offer.
Sheepdog
Sheepdog

Back to top Go down